The Thanet coast is amongst the best wildlife sites in Europe...
Find out about this important area for bird and marine life around our chalk coastline on this website. This information relates to the management of a number of nature conservation designations, known as the North East Kent Marine Protected Area (NEKMPA) which includes the North East Kent European Marine Site (NEKEMS) and the more recent Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ).
This site also includes links to project work, such as the Thanet Coast Project that works with local people to help safeguard the wildlife and the coastlines' unique features.
- 2013-18 NE Kent MPA Action Plan - current actions on the coast
- Managing the North East Kent Coast - summary leaflet
- 2007-12 NE Kent European Marine Site Action Plan/Activities
- Thanet Coast MCZ - a new designation (DEFRA, Nov 2013)
- Turnstone Bird Roosts that need a Boost
- What's it all about - algae (article)
- Latest press releases from around the Thanet Coast